Tuesday, July 01, 2008

New beginnings...

As a first year PhD student, I'm close to being smack-dab in the middle of our program. So it's with some sense of surprise that I got the following recently:

"...On behalf of UCLA, I'm extending an official offer of admission to the Graduate Division. You have been singled out from a pool of exceptionally qualified and talented applicants in a rigorous and highly competitive process. Your selection recognizes your academic accomplishments and potential for advanced scholarship. Let me add my personal congratulations to those of your family and friends..."

It turns out that when we go from the first two years of medical school into graduate school, we have to "apply" to our graduate programs. It's sort of fun to get letters like these when you did nothing but fill out some online forms stating your date of birth, city of origin, country of citizenship, etc...I suppose I could rant about how these form letters cheapen the meaning of such an acceptance to a person who was actually waiting for it, but whatever, there's no need.

I will continue some of my boards thoughts and offer some perspectives about the transition to graduate training when I finish the back-log of laundry I have at the moment.

Good luck to all incoming first years and folks applying at the moment!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    There are a lot of people applying for this program for the wrong reasons, like top residency, free medical school and etc... What do you have to say to those that lack the passion to do translational research?

    ReplyDelete