Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nobel Laureates and Teachers

Today, I am joining a group of students having lunch with Nobel Laureate Erwin Neher. Dr. Neher won the 1991 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery of the patch clamp technique. The lunch discussion will no doubt provide titillating clues into the genius of Neher, his work over the years, and where he sees science going in the future. As someone who has been working on patch clamp experiments for the past three months or so, and as someone who sees how useful and revolutionary the technique is (and was), I stand in agreement with the thousands of scientists out there who marvel at his work over the years. He indeed contributes to science, medicine, academia, industry - to name a few areas - in innumerable ways. There's almost no debating the "greatness" of a person like Neher.

As I described my schedule for the day to someone this morning, she remarked, "Wow, that is so cool that you get to meet someone who has obviously done so much in the world; someone who's impact has been so immense." For whatever reason -- in part because this discussion was in the context of discussing topics in the first year of the medical school (described by some as "tutoring") -- that description instantly focused my attention on the role of teachers. Teachers spend their time - if they are college professors - doubling as researchers and lecturers/discussion leaders. In the high school or related setting, they focus primarily on introducing concepts, explaining difficult connections, and assessing student performance over time. But regardless of where teachers work and what exactly are their responsibilities, I think (and this certainly isn't a revolutionary idea) they can have an impact on the world that, much like work that warrants a Nobel prize, is not limited in its scope or seriousness.

If I had to choose three elements of my life that I credit with where I am today, I would choose 1) my parents, 2) my good fortune to live in the USA, and 3) my teachers over the years.

That is to say, it's hard to overstate the importance of teachers. Regardless of what I plan to do in the future, being a teacher -- in whatever capacity -- will be a part of my vocation.

I'm as impressed with a nobel laureate as I am with a game-changing teacher. I'll revise this post after the lunch to see if this sentiment holds up.

Update (4:00 P.M.): Sentiment holds up. Neher was great, everything I expected. And the teachers in my life continue to be up there with the Nobel laureates.

No comments:

Post a Comment