Monday, June 07, 2010

When the “Step One Adventure” (SOA) began...

... I considered posting updates, which sounded like a good idea, i.e. until I realized that most of my writing would be filled with angst and more angst. A little time has provided an emotional buffer, and I feel a somewhat comfortable providing commentary.

If you’ve taken SO, you know what I am talking about. If you plan on taking SO, you will soon. For everyone else, don’t worry: you aren’t missing out. Here are the cliff notes.

In a tiny little carrel on the eight floor of a building called “the Stacks,” I spent most of my day reading through “First Aid,” “BRS Pathology,” and “Rapid Review Pathology,” while doing USMLE World questions. Midway through my studying, I fled the stacks for my parent’s home. I drank better coffee, ate home-cooked meals, finished a first pass of the material, and started to make some headway on the Q-bank. When I returned to West LA, I avoided the stacks. My room became my cave. The days were spent hunched-over in front my computer, doing questions, questions, and more questions until I developed UWorld-burnout to go along with First-Aid-burnout. I tweak my back from poor posture; I developed a mild fungal infection on my left elbow. At this point my body hated me and I was ready to get the SOA over with.

There were times during the process when evil little thoughts tempted me to postpone my test date. “Anthony, you could do better if you had an extra week.” “Anthony, there is so much more high yield material to go over.” Now that I’ve taken the exam, I could not imagine the unnecessary suffering I would have put myself through. I accepted the gaps in my knowledge. And as Chuck C told me, I had to “trust the preparation.”

The preparation was both hellish and useful. The experience forced me to work really hard for a substantial amount of time. And while I worked hard, I tried harder to keep sight of the bigger picture: life will go on after the test. The SOA wasn’t fun, but there people out there who are having much less fun all the time. Let’s count our blessings, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment